Monday, November 7, 2011

Jumbo Artichokes with Sage Salt

When I planned out my herb garden, I chose to plant the things that I am constantly buying: mint, basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. To round out the garden, I decided I also wanted lemongrass and sage because I love food with those flavors. I bought and planted two tiny sage plants, not realizing how big they get and how fast they grow. All summer long, I was constantly pruning back the sage so it wouldn't overtake the rest of the garden. One day I was surfing the 'net, trying to find new ways to use the abundant sage I had harvested. The only times I have really used sage was in butternut squash soup and Thanksgiving stuffing, so I needed to find some new ways to use it to save it from the compost. I finally came up with a sage salt recipe from Vegetable Matter. I love it so much that I keep a small jar in my pantry at all times.

Last night when I was preparing fresh, jumbo artichokes for dinner, my eyes wandered over to my prized jar of sage salt. Could this be the most amazing combination ever to come out of my kitchen? I decided to give it a try and was delighted with the results.


Jumbo Artichokes with Sage Salt

2 jumbo artichokes
1 lemon
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons sage salt
1/2 cup water or vegetable stock

Wash and trim the artichokes, removing the prickly ends on each leaf. Cut in half and scoop out the choke. Squeeze lemon juice all over the cut areas to prevent them from turning brown. Drizzle each artichoke half with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with sage salt. pour 1/2 cup of water into a glass baking dish and place artichokes cut side up. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until the heart is fork-tender. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment