Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Broccoli and chicken and....almonds?

Last night when I got home from work, half the battle was already won.  I had remembered to put a package of chicken breasts in the fridge to thaw.  Now that I was home, what was I going to make?  I did a quick search through some of my favorite cooking blogs and settled on a Broccoli, Chicken, and Almond Saute from Simply Recipes.  It looked quick, easy, and I had everything on hand.  But, more importantly, it was something I could make without many changes to the recipe.  It reminded me of a lighter version of Chinese take out.  I could definitely see drizzling it with a little bit of soy sauce (or coconut aminos) and serving with a side of rice. 

Broccoli, Chicken, and Almond Saute

2 - 6oz chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper
1 tbl grapeseed oil
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (or a 1lb package of florets)
1/2 c slivered marcona almonds
1 bunch green onions, sliced, whites and greens separated
Dark Toasted Sesame Oil


Toast almonds in a skillet and set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add broccoli, cook for 1-2 minutes, and set aside.
Heat a large skillet with 1 tbl of grapeseed oil (or oil of your choice) to medium high heat.  Thinly slice chicken.  Season with salt and pepper.  Saute chicken until no longer pink, about 2-3 minutes.

Add the white part of the green onion to skillet and cook for about 1 minute. Add broccoli, chicken, almonds, and green part of the green onions and stir to combine.   Drizzle with dark toasted sesame oil.  Serve hot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment