Friday, July 6, 2012

Freebird


Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd: The worlds most overplayed, over-requested song. 

Fourth of July morning.

It came on the radio just like it always does.


"I'm as free as a bird"


I started thinking of my friend's beautiful memorial tattoo to her sweet sister. The picture of the painting she put on fb (sorry I borrowed it w/o asking)

A tribute to her sister.

 A free bird. 

Freedom from the cage of Batten disease that held her body captive for so long.


"to be absent from the body is to be present with the lord" by KW

Sobs.

I tried.  I couldn't turn off the song.

"'Cause I'm as free as a bird now, 
And this bird you cannot change. "

The last half of the song comes on. That amazing guitar solo.  One day I'm gonna learn to play guitar like that.  

In my mind, I can see her clapping and laughing and dancing to that music.

Often, I struggle with deep thoughts like if there is a heaven and what happens after we die. I like to think it does because it's such a comforting thought.  If it does, I know you are there, and I'm hoping you are hanging out with my dad. He'll take good care of you cuz he was such a good dad to us kids, just like your dad was to you and still is to your siblings.  I'm sure he's already got you running a marathon with him. He loved running. He used to make me ride my bike with him when he ran, even though I complained incessantly.  What I wouldn't give for one more chance to do that.   I hope you haven't forgotten to give him that hug Mrs. A. asked you to give him from all of us.  I promise as soon as I'm feeling better, I'll run a race for both of you.  Thank you for all you taught me and always reminding me by example to have always have a smile on my face, no matter how bad I think it is.

Miss you sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment