Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chicken with heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad


The other night I got home from work and was absolutely exhausted.  I really wanted to be "bad" and just get takeout, but I already had chicken thawed in the fridge.  I also had a small bowl of tomatoes from my garden that needed to get used up.  I have been seeing so many recipes lately for caprese salads that I had to figure out how to combine the two.  I started out by cooking the chicken very simply in the skillet.  I seasoned it with salt and pepper and a light coating of coconut oil in the skillet.  I diced up the tomatoes, finely chopped some fresh basil, and then cubed up some goat cheese mozzarella.  I finished it off by drizzling the tomato salad with an aged Pomegranate balsamic vinegar.  I topped the chicken with the tomatoes and served it with a side of a rice pilaf mix that my sister made (I added shredded zucchini to the rice...gotta get rid of it any way possible!).  It was a delicious, quick dinner that only took about 30 minutes to make, start to finish.  I really liked the goat cheese mozzarella.  It was a bit tangy, as most goat cheeses are, and a little bit more crumbly than regular mozzarella.  We were eating way sooner than if I had waited for Dave to get home from work, clean up, and go get something...somewhere.  And this was way better for us than anything we could have got anywhere :)



Don't you just love the colors of the red and green heirloom tomatoes?

Chicken with Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
 
2 large or 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper
2-3 teaspoons coconut oil
1 lb heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 handful basil leaves, finely chopped
7 oz goat cheese mozzarella, diced
2-3 tbl balsamic vinegar

Heat a skillet over medium high.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Cook chicken until just done, but not longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes each side for smaller breasts, longer for larger breasts. 
 
In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar.   Season to taste with salt and pepper.  

Serve tomato salad on top of chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment